You found the hidden text! Did you know... One single drop of a mother's colostrum has nearly 1 million white blood cells in it! True amazing power we hold as human mothers to heal. "Every Drop Counts!" - Summer

Taryn Round’s birth story

As my due date approached and passed I thought I would be pregnant forever, although Tyler kept reminding me that the average delivery for first time moms is 8 days after your due date. I kept checking for my mucous plug (a couple of my mom friends said their babies came 1-2 days after they lost the plug) but there was nothing. I had been having mild contractions for weeks, some days regularly and some days randomly.

Four days after my due date I woke up in the morning with more contractions. This time they seemed more regular, although I passed it off as just another day. I went about my normal Sunday. Tyler and I went to the gym to walk in the early afternoon. I continued to have regular contractions and by about 3pm Tyler was starting to panic a bit. We timed the contractions and they were coming about every 10-12 minutes. He said “What if this is the real thing? You need to go take a nap.” I told him that it wasn’t the real thing and it was just another day with some contractions, but I agreed to lay down if the contractions continued. At about 5pm I tried to take a nap, but Tyler was packing his hospital bag and I kept thinking about things I needed in my bag, so the nap didn’t happen. The contractions were regular now and starting to get stronger.

At about 9pm we decided to call our doula to let her know that this might be real. She told Tyler to call her later if something else started happening. We tried to go to bed about an hour later and every time I would drift off, I would have a contraction…I knew it was real now because the contractions were too strong to sleep through. Tyler was able to sleep for a couple of hours. While he slept I handled the contractions pretty well on my own, but they continued to get stronger and closer together. It was around 1am when Tyler woke to me moaning and he immediately started freaking out – my contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and I was really starting to have some pain. He called our doula again and told her I was definitely in labor. She suggested that he get me into the bathtub, as it would help me to relax; we were to call her back when we were ready for her to come to our house. Tyler ran a bath and tried getting me into the tub, but
the contractions were still getting stronger and I needed him to put pressure on my hips during the contractions, so I didn’t get more than my feet into the tub. By this time I was starting to feel some pressure in my bottom, so Tyler called our doula back and told her that we were ready for some help. She arrived at our house just before 3am and my contractions were about 2 minutes apart and very intense and the pressure was increasing in my bottom. She indicated if I was having that kind of pressure it was probably time to go to the hospital. I was reluctant to do this as I needed Tyler to apply pressure to my hips with every contraction. I didn’t think we could make the trip to the hospital. Luckily our doula drove a mini van, so she offered to drive all of us to the hospital. She gathered our things and prepared the bench seat in her van for me and we headed to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at about 3:30am and were directed to the triage room at OPRMC so I could be checked before being admitted. I didn’t expect that but they insisted. The nurse said I was dilated between a 4 and 5. I didn’t believe her and insisted there was no way that I was only that far along! Tyler and my doula were very supportive and told me that I was halfway there and that it was great that I was between 4 and 5. The nurse admitted me and moved me to a labor and delivery room – we got the big room with the big tub! The nurses had to get me on the fetal monitor continuously for 20 minutes. I only wanted to stand leaning over onto the bed (again so Tyler could apply pressure to my hips during contractions), but the monitor was not getting a good reading. I just wanted to get it over with so I could get into the tub.

After almost an hour they got their consecutive 20 minute reading and finally took the monitor off me. I finally got into the tub. I didn’t really notice how much it helped me to relax, but Tyler said I seemed much better when I was in the tub. My doula read a relaxation poem and Tyler was there to squeeze my hips. After about 45 minutes in the tub my midwife came in and wanted me to get back onto the monitor. I slowly emerged from the tub and made my way back to the bed. I did not want to sit or lay in the bed, so again I stood next to it, leaning on it, and they strapped on the monitor. Shortly after I was out of the tub my midwife asked if I wanted to be checked. I was terrified at the thought of having to lay in the bed, so I told her that if she could check me while standing up she could check, but I did not want to know the outcome unless it was time to push.

My midwife checked me and informed Tyler and my doula of my progress (I was between a 7 and 8, 100% effaced and 0 station). About 20 minutes later I was really feeling the urge to push. My midwife said I could try pushing and she would assist my cervix to make sure it was out of the way. After the first few pushes I was completely dilated and ready to push my baby out.

I moved onto the bed, still not wanting to sit, so I was on all fours leaning over the head of the bed. This position felt pretty good for pushing. After pushing through a few contractions, my midwife suggested turning over to a semi-recline position, so my risk for tearing would be less. I reluctantly agreed and after a few more contractions with big pushes my baby was here. I was so glad to finally see her. It was 7:49am, Monday January 19th. My baby was placed on my chest and almost immediately squirmed toward my breast. Taryn Lynn weighed 6 pounds 4.7 ounces and was 19 inches long – she was perfect! I think I was in shock – was this really my baby lying on my stomach? Did I really just get through this labor with no drugs or interventions? I was thrilled that it was over and my baby was finally here…I felt great!